The Golghar or Gol Ghar , (“Round house”), located to the west of the Gandhi Maidan in Patna, capital of Bihar state, India. It is a granary built by Captain John Garstin, in 1786.The History behind it is that Warren Hastings, then Governor-General of India, ordered the construction of this beehive shaped structure for the purpose of storing grains for the British Army. It was conceived and built by Captain John Garstin, an engineer with the East India Company,and the construction was completed on 20 July 1786.A drive to improve the appearance of the structure was begun in 2002.
Built in the Stupa architecture, the building has a width of 125 m, and a height of 29 m. It is pillar-less with a wall of thickness of 3.6 m at the base. One can climb at the top of the Golghar through the 145 steps of its spiral stairway around the it. The spiral staircase was designed to facilitate the passage of the workers who loaded and unloaded the grain is the granary, who had to carry grain-bags up one flight, deliver their load through a hole at the top, and descend the other stairs.The top of the Golghar presents a wonderful panoramic view of the city and the Ganges.
Golghar has never been filled to its maximum capacity and there are no plans to do so. The reason for this is a flaw whereby the doors are designed to open inwards. Thus, if it is filled to its maximum capacity, then the doors will not open. Presently renovation of this historical monument is underway.